Thursday, July 23, 2020

All Good Things

I am today formally announcing that I am retiring and will not be teaching at Wayne State College this fall, at least not as a regular faculty member.

This has been a very difficult decision, but my wife and I are at elevated risk from the coronavirus. Even though WSC is taking admirable steps to attempt to control the virus, I would still be in a poorly-ventilated classroom that would be crowded at or beyond social distance capacity for a certain number of hours a week, not to mention other possible "walking about" exposures on campus.  We did a lot of soul-searching and decided that this is the best course for us.

Some people will probably be unhappy about this. I am sorry for students who may feel let down because they were expecting me to teach a class they will take this coming year. I am sorry for the short notice to whoever ends up teaching these courses. I will be available as a resource to the faculty (I will not tell them WHAT to do, but I will tell them how I taught the courses, how the systems work, etc.).

As for myself, I have always intended that when the time came for me to retire I would give plenty of official notice, to allow the college to either hire a replacement or at least find a fully-qualified interim. That plan, unfortunately, did not take into account the safety concerns from the current pandemic, which too many people around the country are politicizing and not taking seriously. I intend to seek emeritus professor rank, which could mean that I might possibly teach now and then in the future. 

It has been a good 16 years, but as they say, "all good things must come to an end." I have few regrets about my time at Wayne State College.

No comments:

Post a Comment